Our commitment to sustainable packaging
Minimising the environmental impact of our packaging is an essential commitment. As part of our environmental philosophy, we have developed a food policy which places significant emphasis on sustainable foods and packaging. Our food policy requires our products to be “in packaging that supports reduce/reuse/recycle, and as environmentally benign as possible throughout the life cycle.”
Our commitment to sustainable packaging is a life cycle approach, inclusive of the resources we control within the supply chain, so that aspects of sustainability that others control can be more efficient and effective. Sanitarium will continue to improve its activities in a sustainable manner, including the proper selection, handling and appropriate end use of packaging.
What is the Australian Packaging Covenant (APC)?
The Australian Packaging Covenant is a voluntary initiative by Government and Industry to reduce the environmental effects of packaging on the environment. Sanitarium signed the Covenant in August 2001 and has remained a committed and active signatory ever since. A focus on environmental performance reporting will continue to drive numerous environmental initiatives across the organisation, and strengthen the initiatives undertaken as part of the Australian Packaging Covenant as we pursue our responsibilities under the new Covenant and the New Zealand Packaging Product Stewardship Scheme.
Sanitarium’s Australian Packaging Covenant Action Plan
Sanitarium’s APC and NZPPSS Action Plan (PDF) is evidence of our support and commitment to environmental stewardship. Our Action Plan supports the following Corporate Environmental Policy (PDF) commitments through the following measures:
- Making environmental concerns an integral part of planning and decision making process – Sanitarium’s APC steering committee regularly meet to develop, implement and review sound environmental standards applicable to our product’s packaging.
- Practicing sound environmental stewardship – Sanitarium’s ‘whole of chain’ approach ensures all staff working for Sanitarium are aware of, and take accountability for, minimising their environmental impacts.
- Educating employees and encouraging stakeholders to be accountable for environmental stewardship - through our website, and through on-pack labelling.
- Minimising, mitigating or restoring any adverse environmental impacts – through application of the sustainable packaging guidelines.
- Maintaining open channels of communication – engaging consumers through our website and on-pack labelling, and with major suppliers through regular packaging reviews.
- Promoting efficient use of resources – through application of the sustainable packaging guidelines.
- Ensuring the proper handling and disposal of wastes – though segregation and collection of recycled material at our facilities, and supporting secondary market creation.
Sanitarium's APC Action Plan will ensure:
- All new and existing packaging are reviewed against the Sustainable Packaging Guidelines (PDF).
- All Sanitarium packaging will be adequately labelled to encourage and facilitate proper disposal.
- The environmental impacts of Sanitarium packs will be minimised, wherever possible, throughout the entire supply chain.